JUE 13 DE JUNIO DE 2024 - 03:47hs.
In Altamira, state of Pará

IDT-CEMA takes debate on casinos to the Brazilian Amazon

Once again the topic of casinos in Brazil has crossed borders and reached the Amazon. At a seminar on tourism in Altamira, Pará, the IDT-CEMA's president, Bruno Omori, participated in a specific panel on gaming and its synergy to boost tourism in the region. He highlighted that investments of more than US$70 billion could reach the country, and that the State could house one casino-resort, two tourist attractions and one bingo venue for every 150,000 inhabitants.

Bruno Omori, president of the Institute of Development, Tourism, Culture, Sport and Environment (IDT-CEMA), participated in a debate that included the participation of the secretary of Tourism of Altamira, Eliana Couto, the secretary of Sports, Victor Conde, the mayor of Altamira, Claudomiro Gomes, and the sportsman and Olympic champion candlemaker Lars Grael.

In the debate, Omori began his explanation by recalling the strength of global tourism, which generated more than US$1.8 trillion in 2022. “The sector feels the need to create differentiated experiences for business or leisure tourists in a destination, such as in Altamira, Pará, with the Amazon Forest and the Xingu River, not only meeting the needs of tourists, but creating demands like brands like Apple or Disney do, creating synergies to generate differentiated experiences.”

According to him, combining regional gastronomy, indigenous experiences, sport fishing, water and adventure sports in the jungle, culture aligned with sustainability, will be even more important with the approach of COP 30, which will take place in Pará in 2025.

He brought to those present the current panorama of discussions on gaming regulation in Brazil, which could generate international investments of more than US$70 billion if all verticals are legalized.

“Pará could have a casino integrated into a resort, probably two tourist casinos and even one bingo for every 150,000 inhabitants per city, which in addition to strengthening destinations, will increase the supply of labor,” he explained.

“In addition, the State can greatly increase tax collection, in addition to the transfer of taxes and concessions of 10% for sport and 12% for tourism,” he commented.

He also cited the example of Las Vegas, which has the largest hotel offer in the world with 175 thousand rooms, that gaming represents 45% of GDP, the remaining 55% is the result of gastronomy, shopping, shows, culture (it has 5 fixed shows Cirque du Soleil), events/fairs in all segments, and sporting events, such as MMA, ice hockey, among others.

At the end of the meeting, the mayor of Altamira, Claudomiro Gomes, thanked and congratulated the speakers and was very optimistic that “we will soon be able to create a bingo hall or a tourist casino to boost Altamira in tourism, generating new jobs, strengthening local culture and artists, present the Rio Xingu region with its gastronomic and sporting potential, as well as the Belo Monte Plant, which has already received more than 70 thousand visitors.”

Source: GMB